Narikala Fortress

Narikala Fortress

Narikala Fortress is an ancient fortress overlooking Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia. It was built in the 4th century AD as a Persian citadel. The fortress was considerably expanded by the Umayyads in the 7th century AD and later, by king David the Builder in the 12th century AD. Most of extant fortifications date from the 16th and 17th centuries AD. In 1827, parts of the fortress were damaged by an earthquake and demolished.

Site Information

Country: Georgia

District: Tbilisi Region

Site History: 13th Century AD

Oldest Culture: Georgian

Later Cultures: Georgian

Site Features: Georgian Monuments

UNESCO Tentative List

Part of: Tbilisi Historic District

Date of Submission: 2007

Exact Location

Loading...

Weather In Site


  • Humidity: %
  • Wind:
Powered by: OpenWeatherMap

Georgia Map

by amCharts

Rating

Five
25
Four
10
Three
6
Two
2
One
1

4.3 average based on 44 reviews.

Users' Comments

The published comments do not represent the opinion of our site, but express the opinion of their publishers. (All Comments must be in English or Arabic)